Professional Website Performance : Optimizing the Front-end and Back-end
While the first half of the book deals with front-end issues (caching, content compression, browser rendering etc), the second half focuses on load balancing and scalability on the back-end, and you'll learn how to effortlessly expand your site from a single server to a high performance cluster.
Of course, I'm also available for work in this area; so if you're not technically minded, or want some extra advice, feel free to contact me.
Amazon helpfully provide a preview of around 100 pages of the book which you can read online
Table of Contents is as follows:
Part I: Front-end
- Refresher on Web browsers - history of browsers; HTTP protocol; steps involved in rendering a page
- Utilizing Client-side Caching - browser caching; conditional GETs; expires/cache-control headers; proxies; DNS caching
- Content Compression - Implementing gzip and deflate in Apache or via PHP code. Alternative compression methods
- Web Graphics and CSS - how compression works in the most popular formats (PNG, GIF, JPG); lazy loading; CSS sprites; CSS performance tricks
Part II: Back-end
- Web Servers - Apache tuning options; moving to Nginx; using Nginx as a load balancer/proxy; hardware load balancers; HA Proxy
- Tuning MySQL - MyISAM and InnoDB storage engines; Query Cache; Optimizing SQL - 'explain', indexing, query log etc
- MySQL in the Network - replication; partitioning; sharding; alternatives to MySQL
- NoSQL - types of NoSQL solution; in-depth look at mongo and memcache/membase (including interacting with PHP)
- SSL - caching; termination and end-points; intermediate certificates; hardware acceleration; the future of SSL - OSCP stapling and False Start
- PHP - extensions and compiling; opcode caching with APC; sessions; efficient PHP programming; profiling with xhprof
- TCP Performance - three-way handshake; Nagle algorithm; TCP_NOPUSH and TCP_CORK
- Compression - the LZW family; Huffman encoding; compression implementations
Available now in all good bookshops (and possibly crappy bookshops too).
- › Home
- › Linux Consultancy
- › Web Development
- › Server/Website Performance
- › MySQL Support and Consultancy
- › Linux Server Security
- › Dialog Quiz
- › Apache Fingerprinting: mod_pof
- › mod_miserable (Apache)
- › Firefox Toolbar Tutorial
- › JSPenguins (XPenguins clone)
- › Art, Electronics, Woodwork and other little projects I do when I'm hiding in the shed from my wife.
(+44) 07890 592198