Linux Network Security
You can now read the full book online
Linux Network Security, my first book, was published in March of 2005 by Charles River Media, and has been receiving very favourable reviews on Amazon. As the name suggests, the book covers the subject of securing Linux systems, particularly in a network setting, and is intended for both system administrators and home users alike.
Topics covered include:
- Network topology, with a discussing of routing and NAT, switched networks, packet sniffing etc.
- Detailed explanation of buffer overflows, Denial of Service attacks, and other common Linux exploits.
- Analysis of rootkits such as Adore, including information on how to detect and remove them.
- Comprehensive guide to stateful packet filtering with IPTables including logging, rate limiting, and TTL rewriting.
- How to secure services such as Apache, FTP, BIND (DNS), Sendmail.
- Discussing of safe Web scripting: Perl's taint mode, injection attacks, cross-site scripting, suEXEC, PHP safe mode, Register Globals etc, HTTP authentication.
- Mandatory Access Control models such as SELinux and LIDS.
- System hardening with grsecurity, pax, libsafe, systrace, NOEXEC, Snort, Tripwire.
- How to use password crackers and network scanners to assess system security.
- Appendix contains detailed list of security settings in the 2.6 kernel, with information on how to recompile the kernel.
More general system administration issues are also discussed, such as: sudo, user/group management, PAM, ext2 attributes, partitioning, limiting user resources, file permissions, and chroot environments.
The table of contents (in pdf format) is available here
The accompanying CD-Rom containing Open Source tools discussed in the book, as well as complete IPTables rulesets for packeting filtering, NAT, and routing.
- › Home
- › Linux Consultancy
- › Web Development
- › Server/Website Performance
- › MySQL Support and Consultancy
- › Linux Server Security
- › Dialog Quiz
- › Apache Fingerprinting: mod_pof
- › mod_miserable (Apache)
- › Firefox Toolbar Tutorial
- › JSPenguins (XPenguins clone)
- › Art, Electronics, Woodwork and other little projects I do when I'm hiding in the shed from my wife.
(+44) 07890 592198